Every dollar counts and every volunteer helps. We appreciate every contribution because your financial support is making a big difference for our students.
The Lakeshore Excellence Foundation was established in 1997 as a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors made up of local community members. Your donation to the foundation is tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Six ways you can give to the Lakeshore Excellence Foundation:
1. Donate conveniently online
It only takes a minute but your contribution will make a lifetime of difference to our schools. You may use any major credit card or your PayPal account.
2. Swing those clubs
Participate in the annual Lakeshore Golf Scramble at the fabulous Harbor Shores Golf in Benton Harbor. This event takes place in June — details and registration will be posted on this website. This Jack Nicklaus Signature Course gives you a spectacular setting in which to support your schools. You don’t have to be a pro to enjoy the rolling terrain, dramatic views of Lake Michigan and keeping your ball dry while playing alongside Paw Paw River and Ox Creek. The cost of $250 per person includes 18 holes of golf, cart, a luncheon buffet, tee gifts and some surprises. All proceeds support LEF projects and grants. Questions? Contact Chairperson William Scaletta at 269.429.1638 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Become a Lakeshore Lancer Leader
Lakeshore Lancer Leaders are contributors who annually donate $1,000 or more in support of LEF projects. We deeply appreciate this commitment to quality education and will work diligently to support projects that provide the richest learning experiences possible.
While it is impossible to thank Lancer Leaders enough, we offer the following benefits as a token of our appreciation:
- An annual reception honoring major donors
- 2 Lakeshore All Sports passes for athletic events held at Lakeshore schools (exclusive of post season games)
- 2 reserved seats at performances by the Lakeshore Arts Department (i.e. plays and concerts) in the Lakeshore Community Auditorium
- Special tours or previews of our completed projects
- . . . and (we really can’t say it enough), the gratitude of all students, staff and community members whose lives will be enriched because of your generosity!
4. Give us your two cents
The 2¢ Campaign gives Lakeshore schools’ staff an easy way to contribute to the LEF. The LEF requests just 2¢ per hour from every staff member. This commitment has enabled us to raise over $10,000 annually – and we have the opportunity to raise even more with 100% participation in this campaign. There is no better way to show our businesses and our community that we won’t settle for less than the best at Lakeshore schools. You will demonstrate that Lakeshore has engaged employees who drive innovation and move the organization forward. You will set a compelling example for other contributors.
5. Endowment Fund
We are convinced that a community who embraces the importance of a stellar school system also understands the need to identify funds for future endeavors, perhaps for things that we can’t yet even imagine.
Being prepared for the future is within our reach. We have developed an endowment fund as our long-term strategy to funding the LEF mission for generations to come. The endowment fund is housed within the Berrien Community Foundation, where it will be maintained in perpetuity. Annually the LEF Board evaluates the health of the Fund, makes contributions based on the giving and project needs, and reinvests the earned interest. If you are interested in maintaining the quality of education at Lakeshore Schools for years to come, we invite you to consider giving to our Endowment Fund.
6. Planned Giving
Planned giving is a way to ensure that your financial and estate planning provides resources to those organizations you hold close to your heart.
We hope that you will take proactive steps to support Lakeshore Public Schools. There are many ways to give to the Endowment Fund:
- When you plan for your annual taxes, consider an outright gift to the LEF Endowment Fund. Your gift can take any form: cash (which may give you a tax savings if you itemize), securities (which won’t impact your current spendable income), or tangible personal property (which may be deducted at fair market value without taxation on the appreciation of the property).
- When developing your will, make a bequest. Create an enduring memorial by naming the LEF endowment fund in your will. You may give a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, or a part of what remains after the proceeds have been used as you designate. It is easy to add a bequest to an existing will through an amendment (known as a codicil).
- When you develop a trust, arrange for a charitable lead trust. Such a trust can reduce your beneficiaries’ taxable income by first donating a portion of the trust’s income to the endowment fund of the Lakeshore Excellence Foundation.
- Name the Lakeshore Excellence Foundation Endowment Fund as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy. You may decide to name us for an existing policy or for one that is no longer needed.
Your tax professional is best poised to help you determine how your plans can most significantly benefit Lakeshore Public Schools while also ensuring the fulfillment of all your wishes for your personal security as well as that of your loved ones. Consult with your tax professional today – and help us secure the future for Lakeshore Public Schools students of tomorrow.